Thursday, March 10, 2016

Collection Challenge- Shine Style!

So my friend Michelle and I were talking recently about liking the same collections, even though our styles are pretty different... and she had the brilliant idea to have a little "challenge" of sorts. We'd each create a Project Life spread using the same collection as a base, and then share what we each did. Its fun to see how versatile some of these collections are! So without further ado, I present to you, our Collection Challenge using the Maggie Holmes "Shine" collection.

To create my layout, I actually used the January 2016 Citrus Twist Project Life kit “Verona.” It included half a 6x6 pad from the Shine collection, which I used as a base throughout the spread. I love the look of this collection, but it is very “eclectic” feeling which was a bit of a challenge for those of us that like a definitive color palette or theme.

Here is the overall spread:

And a close-up of the left side:

I loved the “Pure Joy” journal card that came in the kit, but the white lettering was hard to see, so I hand traced with a black journaling pen to help it stand out. I added some gold ink platter on the card to add a little shimmer and tie in the gold accents scatters throughout the layout before adding my journalling along the bottom. The title card I kept VERY simple for this layout as I just love that floral paper and didn't want to distract from it at all.


I loved the Pinkfresh puffy stickers that came in the kit, especially the little chevron shapes. I used a few of them to create an “arrow” of sorts, on a Citrus Twist journal card, along with a little ink splatter. This card documented a trip to an urgent care center to get x-rays of Taylor’s arm, which fortunately was not broken and just sprained.


This spread included an insert. I trimmed down a 3”x3” square page protector (from October Afternoon) and placed in a frame in the center, an acrylic piece from Color Cast Designs (LOVE them!!!). It says “A Better Me” and was perfect for this insert. Since the beginning of the year I’ve been working on improving my health, and trying to lose weight. I don’t normally include this much about myself, but I’m trying to make sure I’m IN these albums, so… this is a start. The front side of the insert is a bit about my journey thus far. Both sides of the insert include some small journal strips that I stamped using words & phrases from Citrus Twist stamp sets. I LOVE those little stamps, they just keep on giving!!!!


The “make it count” stamped phrase was perfect paired with a chipboard heart and the awesome number paper from the Shine collection. And check out the gorgeousness of that acrylic!


The back of the insert has a few smaller photos of some time we spent with family and then commemorates the anniversary of 2 events- my grandfather’s passing and the Challenge shuttle explosion, which I remember watching that live from my elementary school classroom.


Here's a close-up of the full right page:

The November PL kit from Citrus Twist included the ephemera pack from the Shine collection, so I used a few of those leftover pieces in this layout. I especially loved the acetate “LOVE” piece, which was perfect to layer over the paint wash paper along side this photo of my cousin’s adorable daughter. I had also bought the acetate pages from the Shine collection and used a few pieces of that in this layout. The color dots one I plan to leave as a transparent piece to peek through to the following week. I just added a few small Pinkfresh puffy stickers to the card.


The Superbowl card I made myself in Photoshop. The “Sparkle + Shine” card was also from the kit, embellished with some ink splatter and more Pinkfresh puffy stickers.

To check out Michelle's take on this collection, check out her blog www.michelleslittlecreations.com


If you have used this collection and would like to share, please comment with a link to your work, I'd love to see! And let us know if you'd be interested in seeing more Collection Challenges!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment